Restoring a Backup
If you need to recover your QuickBooks file, you can use the built in file restoration utility within QuickBooks. You may need to use this utility if your computer crashes, you make a big mistake in QuickBooks with no undo available, or if you need to review records you accidentally deleted.
You can’t simply open a backup file like you do a normal company file, but restoring a backup file is a pretty easy process in QuickBooks.
- Click on the File menu.
- Click on Open or Restore Company.
- Select Restore a backup copy and then click Next.
- Select the location of the backup. Normally, this is Local backup unless you opted for Intuit’s online backups. Click Next.
- Select the file you’d like to restore. Click Open.
- Click Next to continue.
- Name the file you’d like to restore your backup to and click Save.
- Once the file restoration is complete, you will be notified. Click OK and your QuickBooks company file will open.
The QuickBooks file restore utility will take a backup file and return it back to your company file.