Managing Security in Act! 2005
In ACT!, security is based on the definition of user roles. A new user can be assigned one of five roles: Browse, Restricted, Standard, Manager, and Administrator. The role the user is given determines what records he or she can access and what tasks he or she can perform.
A user with the Browse role can view data with Browse access and can print and run queries and reports.
A user with the Restricted role can view data with Browse access, create contacts and opportunities, schedule activities, and run queries and reports.
A Standard user has access to all records and data, and can create contacts, groups, companies, and opportunities, schedule activities, delete any items they’ve created, update templates, and synchronize data. Standard is the default role, and the most common one.
The Manager role provides system-wide access to data. Managers can do all the things Standard users can, as well as customize data and fields, delete records, and change user access.
The Administrator creates and maintains the database. A user with the Administrator role has access to the entire application as well as the database management tools, and can create new users and teams.
To add a user:
- From the Tools menu, select Manage Users.
The Manage Users window opens.
- Under User Tasks, click the Create New User link.
- If the user is already a contact in the database, you can select Create User from Contact; otherwise, select Create new User.
- Click Next.
- On the next screen, enter the user’s full name, and then a user name and password.
- From the drop-down menu, select the level of security you want to grant the user.
- Click Next.
- Each user accessing the Act! database must have a valid license. If you have a license for the user, select Active under Logon Access; otherwise, select Inactive. When a license becomes available, you can change this setting to grant the user access to the database.
- Select any additional options for the user’s access and click Finish.
- The user is added to the user list.
- Click Close to close the window.