To start Act!, double-click the Act! 2005 icon on your desktop, or click the Start button on the taskbar, navigate to your program files, and select Act! 2005 from the Act! 2005 folder.
If this is the first time you’ve started Act!, you’ll be prompted to set some initial preferences, such as the word processor and e-mail software you want to use. Follow the steps described in the Getting Started Wizard, clicking Next until you advance to the end.
Creating a Database
Before you can store contact information, you must set up a database. The database will store all addresses, phone numbers, events, opportunities and notes you record.
To create a new database:
- On the Act! toolbar, click the New Database button, or select New Database from the File menu.
The New Database dialog opens.
- Enter a name for the database. Note that no spaces are allowed in the name.
- Click the Browse button to browse to the location where you want to save the database.
- If you want to share the database with other users, select the checkbox.
- Enter a user name and password. Though the password is optional, it’s recommended you use one to limit access.
- Click OK.
Act! creates the database and opens the main window, displaying the Contact Detail form by default.
Opening a Database
When you first open Act!, you’re prompted to login to the default database:
Enter your user name and password and click OK.
To open a different database:
- Close the Login dialog, if necessary, by clicking the close button in the upper right-hand corner.
- On the Act! toolbar, click the Open Database button.
- In the Open dialog, browse to the location of the database. Select the database and click Open.
The Login dialog opens.
- Enter your user name and password and click OK.